martes, 6 de marzo de 2012

DX: Mycobacterial Ependymitis + Hydrocephalus / ADEM

Well this case got me really interested. First, because of the young age and acute onset of symptoms and rapid neurological changes (both clinical and imaging) that was missed or unclear on the first evaluation with the CT scan.

CT scan was normal, but as a retrospective approach you can see some irregularity on lateral ventricle walls ( c'mon with some imagination right?  hehe). Rest was unremarkable. Then patient suffered altered mental status with history of fever, so an inflamatory setting was considered. Spinal tap was made previous MR scan.

Click to enlarge:


There was periventricular white matter hyperintensities with dilated ventricular system; also noted in left cerebellar culmen and as a surrounding lineal lesion adjacent to right frontal horn of lateral ventricle. All findings are inconclusive, but the most intriguing finding was on sagital T2 images:


 Multiple focal hyperintensities of corpus callosum that can be seen in hydrocephalus as transependymal CSF mygration but those peculiar characteristics are frequently seen in Multiple Sclerosis (Dawson's fingers) and Acute Disemminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM).

Spinal tab revealed Mycobacterium Tubelculosis. (yup)

So..let's summarize. Maybe the focal hyperintensities on cerebellum and lateral to frontal horn are tuberculomas that can provoque local irritation to ependymae (most likely on cerebellum) and hydrocephalus can be produced.

Now just a quick review on differentials:

MS in native Guatemalan's such as in this case is almost non-existent, in fact all of Leukodystrophies.  If consider, one has to include also CADASIL (cerebral autosominal dominant arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and lekodystrophy) wich is the most common form of hereditary stroke disorder. Findings on MRI are similar but usually occur between 40 and 50 years of age, although MRI is able to detect signs of the disease years prior to clinical manifestation of disease. So is less likely but probable.

ADEM is considered to be the borderline of MS and is a good differential because can coexist with previous viral or bacterial infection. It produces multiple inflammatory lesions in the brain and spinal cord, particularly in white matter areas. Usually these are found in the subcortical and central white matter and cortical gray-white junction of both cerebral hemispheres, cerebellum and brain stem but periventricular white matter and gray matter of the cortex, thalami and basal ganglia may also be involved. Image features are variable but are present in younger populations and is a autoimmune complication of previous infection.


Thank you for your participation on this case...feel free to comment!

3 comentarios:

  1. Don’t think of anything else just contact Dr Abalaka and purchase some of his herbal medication and your depression will go away. This was my state of mind when my doctor told me that i will not be able to conceive due to the Fibroid that was rolling in my family life and when i decide to reach out to the priest, and the Priest told me what to do in other to get the medication. Eventually I receive all the Herbal medications that cure my Fibroid and give me the chance to become a proud mother: Dr Abalaka is a great spiritualist, He did it for me, you can contact Dr on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com). If you are suffering from the following gynecology disease::
    Fibroid
    High Blood Pressure (herbs to reduce your BP within 7days)
    Diabetes
    Infection, regular body pains
    Blockage from the fallopian Tube
    Cyst from the ovaries
    Unpleasant smell from the virginal
    Irregular menstruation
    Weakness of the penis (not able to have sex with your partner or inability to satisfy your partner sexually)
    Watering sperm (low sperm count) not able to get woman pregnant.
    Infertility for easy Conception.......
    Erectile dysfunction treatment
    Skin diseases, Toilet infection and bad body odor…….Etc..
    Get your ex back
    Happiness in relationship
    Command respect in the society
    Enlarge your Penis/breast with no side effect
    Impotent solution
    Obesity solution
    Romanticism solutions
    Cancer of the blood
    Sickle cell
    Epilepsy
    Lupus disease
    Insomnia
    Parkinson disease
    General consultation
    Those are the things he does, You can simply contact the spiritualist Dr Abalaka on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) to get his Herbal Medication to cure your disease and put yourself on a motherhood side of life..

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Am pela, thanks to Dr Osaze who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr osaze's recommendation on line, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me. I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other issues, you can reach him through his email:
    drosaze39@gmail.com or call him on +2347089275769

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Am pela, thanks to Dr Osaze who cured me of fallopian tube blockage and fibroid with his herbal tuber cleanser. My marriage was on the verge of collapsing, because I was unable to bear a child for my husband. Until I came across Dr osaze's recommendation on line, and I contacted him. And he administered his herbs on me. I now have a child I can call my own. In case you want to contact him for a similar problem, or all other issues, you can reach him through his email:
    drosaze39@gmail.com or call him on +2347089275769

    ResponderEliminar